Sunday, February 7, 2016

Sunday Snippets: Psalm 15 Thoughts (Part 2)


Continuing on from last week's Sunday Snippet on Psalm 15 verses 1-2. I meant to get farther last week, so we'll see if this stays a two part, or if it may turn into a three part post. ;)

Verse 3 "He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour."

Backbiting is malicious or unkind talk about someone who is not around. In James, The Bible talks about the tongue being a world of iniquity that can set the course of nature on fire! I should never, EVER, as a child of God, be guilty of using my words in this way! It just astounds me sometimes how incredibly, ultimately powerful words are. There is The Word, which is living, perfect, and pure--the direct words breathed of God. Then there are men's words that can tear someone down to the point that there is no return to what used to be! We should be sooooo careful about how we use our tongues.

Doing evil or taking up a reproach against my neighbour (my neighbour being anyone that I know; Luke 10:29-37), falls kind of under the same category. Do we hold onto offences, or use them as excuses to do evil to others? Food for thought!

Verse 4 "In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the Lord. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not."

God hates sin. As His child, I should hate it just as much, and condemn those who take pleasure in it. On the flip side, those who are striving with their whole heart to honor and serve my Lord should be held high in my esteem! And part of serving God faithfully is this: when I make a promise or commitment, (Unless it is a promise of sin, of course), it is sacred in God's eyes. Even if keeping my promise will cause me discomfort or inconvenience, I need to be true to my word. Breaking promises is honestly just another form of lying, and is very wrong according to many different passages in God's Word. 

Verse 5 "He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved."

God commands good stewardship. Wise use and investment of the money God has blessed me with is highly emphasized in His Word. Money cannot be my main focus, however. I should never have my heart so fixed on it that it can tempt me to sin. And if someone offers me a bribe to get me to sin? It shouldn't even be a slight consideration! 

The Lord says that whoever follows these guidelines of action in their daily lives shall NEVER be moved. Never be swayed from that walk of close fellowship with God! To stay always close to Him and seeking His face! That is something worthy of our wholehearted effort!

Well, this one got to be a little larger than a "snippet", but oh well. :) Have a wonderful day worshipping our Lord!
Mykaela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make sure your comments are respectful and edifying to all involved! :) Comments are moderated, so if you do not see yours immediately, please wait just a bit for it to be posted. Thank you!