Saturday, January 30, 2016

Sunday Snippets: Psalm 15 Thoughts (Part 1)




Psalm 15:1 "LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?"

The words "abide" and "dwell" suggest a constant continuance in something. In this case, being always close to God, always having one's heart fixed on Him alone. What better place for a child of God to be?? Drawing ever nearer to my Saviour and His holiness should be the very highest goal I should strive towards with my whole heart.

Verse 2 "He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart."

The word "Upright" means strictly honorable or honest. Since a walk is a series of steps, what I take away from this is that I should be, in my thoughts, making a conscious choice to be honorable and honest in every step I take through this life. High goal, but when is the Christian walk an easy "go with the flow" kind of lifestyle? It shouldn't be! Working righteousness is not just refraining from unrighteous acts or thoughts, but purposefully doing the exact opposite--searching out ways to bring glory to God through my actions. The last part of this verse talks about "speaking the truth in his heart". (Remember, we are answering the question of who will be able to abide close to God). I thought this phrase was interesting...I mean, sure, I know that lying to other people is definitely wrong; everyone knows that. However, how often do I deceive myself? Do I tell myself that such-and-such sin wasn't "so bad", or that I have lots of time before I need to buckle down and start getting serious about serving God, or even that I can do this or that good thing with a wrong attitude and still please God? Wow. Very sobering thought that I might be allowing myself to lie a lot more than I think! 

Well, I'm going to continue Psalm 15 in next week's Sunday Snippet...I hope you all have a wonderful Lord's Day! God bless!
Mykaela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make sure your comments are respectful and edifying to all involved! :) Comments are moderated, so if you do not see yours immediately, please wait just a bit for it to be posted. Thank you!