Sunday, January 7, 2018

2018 Here We Come!


Isaiah 43:18-19 Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.

Happy New Year!!!
Thank you thank you to all of you awesome people for bearing with me as I went MIA for such long stretches! :D What an amazing year 2017 has been. Looking in the archives on this post, where I looked back on 2016, and this one, where I set new goals for 2017, it is such a blessing to see all the ways God has worked. 

I want to quickly go through my goals from this past year, since a lot of you helped keep me accountable for them! ;) 

1. Learn Something New
Well, I definitely accomplished this one! I switched jobs, from the library (which I'd done for three years and knew well), to a Sew and Vac store, which is extremely different from anything I've ever done before. Every day I am finding new things I'm still ignorant about at work! ;P Also, I picked up watercolor painting as a hobby. I'm still at a super beginner level, but I love doing it! New mediums for hand lettering are always nice. ;)

2. Read through God's Word at least twice.
I sort of did this...I went through the whole Bible in 90 days, and I went through the New Testament at least 3 times, and the Psalms many times. So while I didn't get the whole Bible done twice, I definitely kept busy on it, which is always worthwhile. :)

3. Save money when I can.
I did ok with this one, but the missions trip made a large dent in my savings. ;) Which was absolutely 100% worth every cent, so I have no regrets. 

4. Maintain my weight.  
This stayed pretty consistent through the year, and I kept very active, so yay! :)

5. Pick up a new instrument. 
I didn't get around to this one, sadly. :( I couldn't find the right instrument for the right price. I still want to do this soon!

6. Build up my hope chest as I'm able.
This did not happen at all. :/

7. Pray much more. 
While I have SO far to go in this area, I definitely did grow in prayer this last year, with The Lord's help.

8. Write out my songs. 
This didn't happen either!! :'( Ugh...

9. Witness verbally more.
This went up and down...I did better sometimes, and other times I failed completely. Still working on it!

10. Start each day out with gratitude.
I didn't keep the gratitude jars going, but I kept on doing my daily journal of my favorite part of the day. :) God is so good!


This year I was able to fly across the globe to Fiji and Samoa, meeting so many precious friends through the miles. I also grew older relationships...Abby Geist and I spent the entire three weeks of the trip in each other's company 24/7--and didn't hate each other afterwards. ;D My awesome friend Kimberly left to live in Taiwan for 6 months, meaning that our communication was slowed considerably. :( That turned out with one happy consequence...Janan, a dear friend of Kimberly's that I hadn't gotten very close to yet, was able to talk with me a lot more, since neither of us could chat with K as much as normal! ;P As a result, our friendship grew greatly, and I am so very blessed by her. :) I was able to go to Jenny's graduation, which was awesome, as well as spend a day with her family at a lovely cabin in the woods, just before Christmas! I am deeply grateful to God for all of my sweet friends, too numerous to mention here, who love me for my weird crazy self, and don't judge me TOO harshly. ;D

Like I said above, I swapped jobs, which was a bit of a scary decision. I don't sew, and all I know about vacuums is that they suck. (Sorry, bad pun there. ;) However, I have some awesome coworkers who are so gracious to put up with me and teach me all the things I am confused on. Which is a lot. I'm enjoying learning a new line of work, though. :)

One exciting thing that has happened this year is that we have set up a plan for teaching a Bible institute in Jamaica! My dad is heading down there today, actually, and every other month someone from Bible Baptist will be heading down for a week to teach another seminar. We are thrilled that God has opened this opportunity! Jamaica is steeped in doctrinal confusion, and the churches there are in desperate need of good Biblical training. Please pray for these efforts!

My goals for the upcoming year overlap a bit with last year's goals, so I won't expound too much on them, but simply list them out as I wrote them on a slip of paper in the early morning on New Year's Day. :)


  • Read God's Word at least 3 times.
  • Memorize 12 chapters of Scripture-one per month, perhaps?
  • Be very careful about saving money.
  • Pray for at least 30 minutes per day, growing that throughout the year. If I don't set specific goals on this, it tends to slip, sadly. :'(
  • Write for at least 20 minutes a day.
  • Learn a new skill (trying again with the instrument idea, but it might end up being a language or something. ;)
  • Spend less time on my phone.
  • Cook on a much more regular basis. I bake ALL the time, but I don't make "actual food" as much as I should. ;P
I am praying that God will grow me throughout this year, prepare me for whatever comes next in my life, and teach me to live to the fullest every day that He gifts me with. Praise The Lord that He gives second (and third and fourth and fiftieth) chances, because I am so flawed! I know I'm going to mess up and miss some of these goals, but God willing I will strive towards them! :) 

What are some of your goals for this year? Do you like setting goals at all? Let me know in the comments, and as always...THANK YOU for taking the time to read my humble little blog!! :) You all mean so much to me. God bless you!
Mykaela



7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your goals with us! I shared most of my goals for 2018 on my blog recently. Some of my favorites of them are: get my restricted license (this isn't listed on my blog, but will happen - hopefully! - this spring), disciple a younger girl (and/or begin a younger girls' Bible study), upload 10 videos to YouTube, write 3 hymn arrangements, create a bigger vision for my blog, and go hiking.

    I would also like to read through the Bible in 90 days sometime this year. Did you have a specific reading plan you followed when you did this?

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your goals post and very much enjoyed it!! :) I am subscribed to your emails, and I'm so bad about getting on the web version to comment...but I do really love reading your posts. <3 A girls' Bible study sounds like such fun and I hope it will be a blessing, both for them and you!! :) I just Googled "Through the Bible in 90 days" and it came up with one on Scripture Tools.com or something like that? Let me know if it doesn't work, and I'll try to get an exact link. ;)

      Delete
  2. It's so nice to have a new post from you appear in my inbox! :) I haven't really set goals for 2018 yet... I'm feeling a bit like a ship..not necessarily as one lost at sea, but more like one that remains in the harbor for fear of making the wrong voyage and being unable to withstand a tempest. But as my father says..while ships may be safe in a harbor, eventually their bottoms will rot out. :D Last year I wrote out goals for 2017, and all of them are applicable once more, (for example, I still need to drink more water and demonstrate Christ's love!) so I think I'll just rededicate myself to those unfinished tasks. I suppose my main goal for 2018 is to find out what God would have me to be and then pursue it wholeheartedly. I'm praying for the Lord to bless you in the new year, as you seek His will for your own life. "Bonan Novjaron"....that's "Happy New Year" in Esperanto. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's been so long since I posted! ;P Aw, I am praying for you as you prepare to leave the harbor...we don't want any rotten bottoms!! ;D But seriously, I know how scary it can feel to be wanting to take a step of faith but not quite knowing how or when.

      What in the world is Esperanto?! ;D

      Love you sister! <3

      Delete
    2. My dear girl, haven't you ever read the Bathroom Reader? Esperanto was created in 1887 by Dr. L. L. Zamenhof to be "a second language that would allow people who speak different native languages to communicate, yet at the same time to retain their own languages and cultural identities." It started a fad for an international, one world language. I only remember a few phrases.. "Saluton" is hello, and "Me amas vin" is "I love you". Oh, and I think "pardonu" is "excuse me". "Me havas kapdoloron" means.. Actually, I might have just made that one up. ;) But Esperanto is a real language. A Wikipedia article on it claims there are 2 million speakers. It's supposedly quite easy to pick up.. Maybe you should learn Esperanto this year! :P

      Delete
  3. Aw Happy New Year, my beautiful friend!

    I miss you so, so, SO much. BUT, I am glad you're friends with Janan now, too! We're going to have amazing road trips some day.

    One of your unfinished goals of 2017 was to see me. It's been 16 months?! Ach. Not okay. Let's remedy this as soon as possible.

    Thank you for being one of the best friends in the history of friends, for pointing me to Christ through word AND action, and loving me for me! Here's to 2018 and all that lies within our unknown that God has been preparing us for our whole lives. Let's do it. It's going to be amazing.

    Love you!!

    新年快樂 ... Happy New year in Chinese ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, K!! Your comment almost made me cry. :'( It has been WAY TOO LONG. Ugh!! Not okay at all!! :( Hopefully April ;P

      Thank YOU for being such an amazing friend to me and for supporting and encouraging me in everything. I appreciate your friendship so much! And who could ever *not* love you for you...You're super awesome. ;D

      Miss you!!!! <3 <3 <3
      Manuia le tausaga fou...That's Happy New Year in Samoan. ;D

      Delete

Please make sure your comments are respectful and edifying to all involved! :) Comments are moderated, so if you do not see yours immediately, please wait just a bit for it to be posted. Thank you!