Sunday, June 5, 2016

Sunday Snippets: Just Zip It!



Proverbs 17:28 "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."

I was quoting this verse to myself today, when someone said something very ungracious to me. Sometimes it is one of the hardest things in the world to bite back a harsh or sarcastic response! But according to this passage, when someone simply shuts their mouth, (even a fool!), they are thought of as a wise person. Isn't that interesting? The Bible has so much to say about our speech; we need to be edifying to our fellow Christians, glorifying to God, and a testimony to the world around us with our words. However, there are definitely times when it is the wisest choice just to stop. Stop talking, and let God work in the situation instead of us.

What are some examples of when it's good to "zip it"? What about if you accidentally hear something that was not meant for your ears, or perhaps something very wrong? Don't repeat it! Or when gossip is spreading fast? Break the chain! What if your sibling or friend got into trouble of some kind, and just decided to vent their frustration on you with harsh, unkind words? That would be a time to be still, or to lift them up with your words if you do speak.

There are countless times every single day when we simply start to spout words, sometimes without even thinking a TINY BIT beforehand! Even if the conversation isn't wrong per se, how many times is it simply unnecessary, idle talk? Matthew 12:36 says, "But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." That is incredibly sobering. I know for me personally, I say so. many. things. that are totally "idle"--worthless, unnecessary words. 

I want to think about simply speaking less this week. When I do speak, I want my words to mean something, to be thought through and honoring to God. Let's all work on thinking more and talking less! :) Have a lovely week!
Mykaela

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mykaela! I always need this reminder!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth WilliamsJune 6, 2016 at 9:22 AM

    I agree with this a thousand times over! I need a lot of work with my speech lol I have found that, most of the time, if I just THINK of what I'm about to say before I say it, I probably wouldn't say it. I am very opinionated, so sometimes I just say stuff and don't think about how, even though it may be true, it's not beneficial or necessary whatsoever! So yes, still a work in progress, but getting there lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO true of me as well!! Why is it so hard to stop and think before I talk?! :P Definitely a work in progress here too. ;)

      Delete

Please make sure your comments are respectful and edifying to all involved! :) Comments are moderated, so if you do not see yours immediately, please wait just a bit for it to be posted. Thank you!