Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Boredom is Illegal!

Guest post by Kimberly Snyder

Happy Wednesday, everyone! Today I am excited to present a guest post from a dear friend of mine, Kimberly. She is from Oklahoma (where the wind comes sweeping down the plain...;) Anyway, I am SUPER excited, because I get to go and visit her in August!!! We are counting down the days. In gumballs, no less. ;) I hope you enjoy her post; I found it very thought provoking. 


--------------------------

Boredom?! No!!

We must keep moving forward!!

When I have nothing else to do, Pinterest is my go-to. It's safe to say that my account has known love. But what about you? What's that thing you do when you've got plenty of free time on your hands?

Isn't just so easy and tempting to sit around twiddling your thumbs, browsing Pinterest for hours (or whatever it is that you do) claiming that you're out of tasks and now "bored".

Psshh.

You just haven't considered the tasks that you have been given that cannot be completed. That's right. There are some things commanded of us that are actually impossible to finish. So... the "bored" excuse has no validity. Ever.

Here are some ideas. Straight from my trusty KJV.

1. GO (ye into all the world)
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. (Mark 16:15)

If you're in a "gap year", "trying to figure out your next move", or just not sure what you want to do with your life, have you considered the Great Commission? (Which, by the way, is a command, not a suggestion.)

What I'm really saying, at the heart of my words, is that if Jesus is in your heart, serving Him should be the chief desire of your life. Not worrying about what you want to do with your life.

And, lucky you, some of the ways to make Him happiest are laid out in black and white.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, it would probably be a good idea to invest in a good Bible.

2. BE (the salt and the light)

Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. [14] Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. [15] Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. [16] Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 5:13-16)

Whatever corner of the earth God has called you to be in during this season of your life is your platform. At home, serving your family, and living out the Great Commission in St. Lois, Missouri, or abroad teaching the orphans in Ghana. Either; or; any path in between. The platform you're on is the stage set for you to be the salt and light.

Just some interesting notes on 'salt' and 'light' that I've picked up over my many years of preaching-attending...

- Salt is seasoning
- Salt is also preserver
- Salt doesn't do much good in the shaker, however
- People don't really appreciate it when you reach over a salt their food for them. Be the salt. Be the bright and shining salt. And when people see your benefits, they'll pick you up.
- "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink", indeed, but if you give it a little bit of salt on the walk down, he'll be good a thirsty for that water once you reach it.
- Light is most notable when it's shining in an otherwise very dark place
- Darkness isn't anything in and of itself; darkness is only the absence of light


Hint: A lot of times 'salt' and 'light' work is confused as being hard, big, revolutionary tasks and services. But, most of the time, it's just doing the normal, run-of-the-mill, everyday, mundane work... but with a better attitude. A countenance that exuberates joy and contentedness. A light that points everyone around to Jesus.

3. LOVE (one another, as Christ loved us)

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
(John 15:12)

Can you imagine that? Loving a wicked, vile nasty sinner (a murderer! a thief! a child molester!) enough to die and go to hell so they might have a chance at spending eternity in heaven?!

I mean, there's not even a guarantee there! It's not like all of the human race is going to heaven because of this. You're just giving them a chance to repent and be saved.

While I can imagine it (I've read my Bible a time or two), I cannot, personally, imagine mustering enough love up within myself towards an wretched, heathen stranger to die for them. Only for the chance that they might spend eternity at Jesus' feet. I just can't imagine that. Even though I once was the same.

That might make me a really heartless person. And I'm sorry. I do love you. Just not quite like Jesus did. That's my goal, though. The goal I'll never achieve. But something to work towards, nonetheless.

I try to remember, on this subject, that love is an action. Jesus did the ultimate action of proving that He loved us in that He was humbled to the state of a man, born of a woman, raised under human parents, worked in a carpentry shop, lived, died, and rose again from the dead on the third day.

What can I do to sacrifice myself, my own wants, my own desires, for those around me, family or no, friend or foe?

4. ASK (and it shall be given you)

And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: [15] And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him. (1 John 5:14-15) (See also Matthew 7:7)

Ask for something to do. Go to God. Tell Him you're bored. He has work for you.

5. SEEK (and ye shall find)

...seek, and ye shall find... (Matthew 7:7b)

If you're really trying to find a way to help, or sacrifice self for someone else, you'll find it. You just will. There are too many hurting people out there for you to be actually without place to help. Just gotta seek.

6. Knock (and it shall be opened unto you)

...knock, and it shall be opened unto you: (Matthew 7:7c)

If you have a burden for a certain people, why is it impossible that God could have those people for you to serve and be a living example of Christ to? I see this too often in Christians that want to be involved in the fight against abortion, but don't know where to begin, and really are only interested in holding signs, and not in leading the event, or organizing the sign-holders.

Knock on that door.

7. PRAY (without ceasing)

Pray without ceasing. (1 Thessalonians 5:17)

Wow. That's another one I can't really imagine for myself. It's actually a conscious decision to pray. Even driving down the road, I have to think to myself, "I'm alone with God, I should pray." Am I the only one?

Without ceasing, though? Wow.

Well that's something to do while you're "bored", for sure and for certain.

8. GIVE THANKS (in every thing)

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

In every thing. Every. Thing.

The storms?

The sea billows?

The failures?

The shortcomings?

Every thing, thus saith the LORD.

Can you count your blessings? Can you name them one by one?

I'd love to see that list!!

9. TRUST (in the LORD with all thine heart)

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. [6] In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

It's going to be easier to log onto Pinterest than it is to open your Bible or fall to your knees in prayer.

The Devil is winning that battle because Pinterest isn't inherently bad. Pinterest, actually, is pretty great. We even have an entire board of Scripture! That's good, right?!

Well, yes.

But not as good as spending time with the LORD.

The Devil takes something mediocre, decent, good, even, and uses it to draw us away from what's best. We must also remember that even the best devotion books and guides aren't as good as the original Guide.

When times come when you're just, well, bored, for one, but maybe not really in the mood to read Leviticus (Believe me! I can relate!), it's going to take more than a smidgen of trust. Trust that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him. (Hebrews 11:6)

One of my favorite Southern Gospel songs is 'God on The Mountain'. Those lines of verse 2 just sum it up so well:

We talk of Faith when we're up on the Mountain
But talk comes easy when life's at it's best
But in the Valley of trials and temptations,
That's when Faith is really put to the test.

Allow God to work your Faith. It's like a muscle- it grows weak when it's not exercised!

10. OBEY (your parents)

So, I'm an adult. Legally. By the standards our country has implemented. But I've read the Bible through and have never seen anything about obeying or honoring your parents until a certain date or age. Never! Not once! Can you believe that?!

It's a command. We are to:

  • Obey our parents, in the Lord: for this is right. (Ephesians 6:1)
  • Obey our parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord. (Colossians 3:20)
  • Honor our fathers and mothers: that our days may be long upon the land which the LORD God giveth us. (Exodus 20:12- that's one of the famous 10 Commandments, and the first commandment with promise, as says Ephesians 6:2)
That last one might throw you for a curve, but it's especially important in adulthood, I'm learning. While obeying is doing what you're told or asked to do, honoring is sometimes doing something just because you know you should. Or, not doing something because you know you shouldn't. Because it would honor or dishonor your parents. Honoring is more than action- it's attitude. It's like integrity, doing what you know your parents would rather you do, even when they're not there to direct you.

These commands extend throughout our entire lifetimes, too! Not only does it go past the modern idea of "18 and free", but it extends, quite literally, until the day of your death. (If your parents die before you, it is still commanded of you to obey and honor them!)

11. VISIT (the fatherless and widows)

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction... (James 1:27a)

Here's a practical idea. Next time you're just bored to tears, visit an orphanage. Volunteer at a nursing home for a day or two. I'm sure almost every local church has at least a couple widows that you could call on, cook dinner for, clean a kitchen for, or sit and talk to.

An interesting note about this verse, too, is that it doesn't say 'orphans'. It says 'fatherless'. There are a lot of fatherless kids out there. So, if you can't locate an orphanage, I'm sure you know of some single moms that could really use a few hours of help or rest. Babysit. Cook a meal. Clean a room. Show the kids how to build a Lego fire station. Read a Bible story. Invite them to church, or, if you can, offer to pick them up (or just the kids) for church services.

Put feet on your love.

And that's not all...

There are so very many things the Bible tells us to do that we're, simply put, not doing.

I'm not trying to offend anyone. But I'm also not trying to sugar-coat the truth.

We (including myself) need to get busy. We need to follow all of these black and white commandments laid out in front of us. We need to think about all of the unfinished business the LORD has waiting on our desks, because, isn't His business greater than our own, after all?

We [I] need to cut back on Pinterest.

Even though it's my favorite.

God's work for me needs to be my favorite.

That's my goal.

What's yours?

Kimberly
*All Scripture references are taken from the King James Version; words in red indicate quotes of Jesus.
---------------------
Thank you so much, Kimberly, for taking the time to write a post! I wholeheartedly agree...this world is much too incredible, and God has given us way too much to do for us to EVER use the pathetic and feeble phrase, "I'm bored." Let's get out there and work 'til Jesus comes! :)
Mykaela
P.S. Be sure to check out Kimberly's Blog if you want encouraging posts on living boldly for Christ! :)

3 comments:

  1. These are definitely good thoughts, Kimberly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very though-provoking. But I think number 11 is missing???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Haha! Yes... you're right! Can't believe I didn't catch that in all of my read-throughs and editing!! Or possibly it was there before I cut and pasted and sent it to Mykaela? I'm not sure. Anyways, thanks!! I'll have to get Mykaela to fix it. ;)

      Delete

Please make sure your comments are respectful and edifying to all involved! :) Comments are moderated, so if you do not see yours immediately, please wait just a bit for it to be posted. Thank you!