Sunday, March 13, 2016

Sunday Snippets: Clutching What's "Ours"



Colossians 3:1-2 "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."

I've been realizing more and more lately that I cling to stuff. A lot. As in, almost everything in my life that is familiar and special to me, I clutch onto with everything I've got. Ok, so this can be beneficial in some settings...but is it always a good thing? Ehh, not so much. Let me explain what I mean. I'm a very private person in some areas, and that very sense of privacy is extremely important to me. But do I really have a "right" to that? I have kept a journal since I was about 11, and I've filled a couple up already. Those records are precious to me! As are tons of other possessions I have that I feel I have a "right" to. As a result, I have a really, REALLY hard time letting go of my things during a time of upheaval in my life. Why I'm saying all of this is because just this past week, my family finally got an offer on our house, and in less than 4 weeks, we need to be completely packed up and out of here. For 10 people, 4 weeks is a super short time to move!! As in any time of craziness like this, "my" space and privacy must, of necessity, be totally upended and tossed into a storage unit for at least a month or two. Maybe it's just me, but this is really hard for me to handle!

As I considered this the other day, The Lord really impressed on me that none of this stuff I love so much is truly mine. It is simply gifts that God has blessed me with. Also, none of this really matters in light of eternity. Will my blankbook full of hand lettering practice and doodles really be of that much importance when I stand before God? Of course not! I guess what I'm trying to say here is that stuff is not something I should be valuing that much. I should be willing to let go of ALL of it if that was God's will. I need to be finding my true identity and purpose, not in the precious things I've collected over the years, but in the service of my Lord and Saviour! I need to have a spiritual mindset rather than a carnal one, having my focus and affections on things above, not on things on the earth. I realize this post may sound a bit disjointed, (I don't feel like I expressed my thoughts quite how I intended), but with our wonderful daylight savings time this weekend, my time is a bit limited. ;) Let me just close with a few lines from a song that I hope will be a blessing.

What's more important
Than serving God?
What holds me back
From giving my all?
Do I cling so close to this life,
That I never truly see
The souls in need of Jesus,
Crying to be free?
Nothing really matters
But what I do for You.
Nothing here will linger,
But those I lead to You!
Help me to let go
Of all that I hold dear.
For none of this matters
If You, my God, are near!

God Bless!
Mykaela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make sure your comments are respectful and edifying to all involved! :) Comments are moderated, so if you do not see yours immediately, please wait just a bit for it to be posted. Thank you!