Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The Power of Music


Psalm 100:2 Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. 

To say that I love music would be a severe understatement. I am passionate about it. Music is such a huge and important part of my life, I can't imagine what my day to day life would look without it. (Just look at the name of my blog! :)

Whether I am driving, washing dishes, cleaning, doing laundry, cooking, working out, writing, reading, or just lying on my bed thinking, I will usually have music playing, or be singing myself. Just ask my family...it is a part of just about every waking moment of my day. ;)

Music is fascinating, powerful, and entirely underestimated by many people. Let me say it again, because it is so true:

Music. Has. Power.

Music can inspire, encourage, and brighten a day. Conversely, it can cause depression, frustration, stress, and dark thoughts when used for evil. My entire mood can be changed for better or worse, depending on what music I am around. Don't get me wrong, I am always responsible to act and react in a Godly way, no matter the surroundings. However, music has such a great propensity to affect even the little areas of life!

Because music holds such power, we need to be very, very careful with it. The Almighty Himself is musical; He proves it in the nearly 600 Scripture references to songs, singing, music, instruments, and musicians. Music is a good and holy thing when used in a Godly manner. 

However, for every good thing God has given us, Satan has made an evil counterfeit. So called "Contemporary Christian Music", or "Christian Rock", or any other form of worldly music tweaked the tiniest bit to sound spiritual, is not Christian. In any way, shape, or form. I'm being blunt here, but it's true. When all you do is take the world's fleshly music and change the words, there is no difference. I have seen videos of "Christian" concerts, that literally looked like a heavy metal performance. NO discernible difference, except you could maybe catch a random reference to God scattered through all the screaming, pounding thrashing drummers, and lights wild enough to give you an instantaneous migraine. It's really sad to me that so many Christians are fooled into thinking this is right and good. In Isaiah 5:20, it says, "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" What better example of this verse than music that feeds the old man, the unregenerate flesh, and calls it a holy thing!

As followers of Christ, it is our responsibility to discern between good and evil. To walk in the Spirit, not in the flesh. I realize that many who are deceived by the modern "Christian" music movement are sincere in trying to worship God. However, you can be sincere in doing something, but be sincerely wrong in doing it. Music is something that has led many people astray, because it is important to us as humans. We are made in the image of God, and God loves music. Because of that, we are born with an innate appreciation for beautiful melodies and harmonies. Just watch a small child when there is music playing. They will almost always be wiggling or singing or banging along! Music is so close to our hearts that it's easy to become caught up in the emotional side of it without stopping to think about whether or not it is truly honoring to God. 

An interesting thing to consider about the relationship between music and the way we were created by God: Just as God has three parts (Father, Son, and Holy Ghost), so we have three parts--Spirit, Soul, and Body. The melody (tune) of music appeals to the spirit, the harmony (chords) to the soul, and the rhythm (beat) to the body. Satan's counterfeit godly music is dominated by the rhythm. The goal is to stimulate the flesh, not the soul or the spirit. True Godly music does have a rhythm, (obviously! ;), but it is not rhythm dominant. The goal of Godly music is to bring glory and praise to God, and to refresh and uplift the spirit. (Not the flesh). 

Here are some important questions to ask yourself, with an open heart, about the music you listen to on a regular basis:
1. Does the Holy Spirit lead you to listen to this music? Rom. 8:14
2. Can you pray while listening to this music? 1 Thess. 5:17
3. Does it bring glory to God? 1 Cor. 10:31
4. Does it offend other Christians or cause them to stumble in any way? 1 Cor. 8:13
5. Does this music appeal to the flesh, or to the soul and spirit? What draws you to it? Rom. 8:5
6. Does this music create Godly joy in your life? Isaiah 51:11
7. Would you be comfortable letting your pastor, your parents, and the most Godly Christians you know sit down and listen to this music? (Wow, that's a hard hit!) Heb. 13:17, Prov. 24:6
8. What doctrines are being taught through this music? Titus 2:1

It is my sincere hope that you will prayerfully consider these thoughts. Please know that my purpose was not to offend anyone through this post, but if you are offended...maybe there might be something you need to change? Believe me, I KNOW this is a delicate subject, and it can be difficult to let go of long-held beliefs (or lack thereof), on the subject of what is or is not Godly music. I have faced struggles with this at various times in my life, and sometimes it is not easy even to discuss it with people, because it seems that there are so many different opinions on the topic! However, in James 1:5 God promises that He will give His wisdom to those who ask for it with unwavering faith. He will guide and direct your steps! 

May the music we listen to, write, sing, and play be a source of encouragement and blessing to everyone around us. Especially The God who created music for us to enjoy!
Mykaela

6 comments:

  1. Wow Mykaela, you said this SO WELL! This is EXACTLY how I feel about music. I have several friends who are big on Christian Rock and it makes me so sad.
    God is a God of beauty and wonder and majesty and awe, and I think our worship music needs to reflect that. And by "worship," I mean ACTUAL WORSHIP. Not the word that Christian Rock has completely twisted and ruined! True worship is honoring and praising and glorifying God in complete humility. How can you come before God while you're practically screaming?! Like my mom says, "I don't think God is up in heaven 'rocking out.'" God loves beauty. I guess Christian Rock could be described in a lot of ways, but I don't think "beautiful" is one of them. For Resurrection Sunday this past year, a group of our teenagers at church did an ensemble. They had two violins, an ocarina, and a classical guitar. Because there was no piano, it was naturally more quiet and peaceful. But I was sitting there thinking, "THIS is what beauty music is." And I could look at the lyrics of the hymn and be in complete awe of what God had done for me.
    Thank you so much for this breath of fresh air. I know that posting this must've taken some guts ;) Thank you for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so very much for your kind and encouraging comment, Grace!!

      That is SO very true...if you cannot imagine Jesus Christ singing the song or listening to it, should you be? Convicting! I agree so much, good music should calm and uplift, not stress and assault the ears. ;) (Which is exactly how I feel when I hear "Christian Rock"...stressed! There is nothing peaceful about it!)

      Anyway, thank you again for your feedback! I don't expect all the thoughts on this post to be good, and I know I might lose a couple of followers over it, but that's ok. I have to write what I truly believe is right! :) I appreciate your stand on this! <3 Keep it up,
      Mykaela

      Delete
  2. So many good thoughts, Mykaela! I don't know many people who still believe this way, but I'm thankful you do! It's easy to just feel like music isn't really a big deal. But every single aspect of our lives is! The only other thing I can think to add to what you said is that a lot of CCM seems to be more focused on "me"....my feelings, thoughts, and emotions. And overall, many of them are kind of shallow and don't really give you any truth from God's Word to grasp to. Also, there are many different reasons I'm generally opposed to CCM, and not any single point relates to every CCM song/artist. But it's generally something I stay away from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true, Elizabeth!! It totally seems like all the focus shifts from God and eternal things onto self, in many of the CCM lyrics. It’s so important to be holy in all areas of life! Thank you for your insight! <3

      Delete
  3. Hello Makaela, I wanted to comment on your utube video of you singing, "I will Wait," but could not find how to do it. So I decided to comment on this entry:). That was a beautiful song. Did you write it yourself? Nice to see you too. You look so much like your mom. Miss you all and look forward to seeing you all again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sis. Elam! Great to hear from you! Yes, I did write that song, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :) Looking forward to seeing you all as well, miss you! <3

      Delete

Please make sure your comments are respectful and edifying to all involved! :) Comments are moderated, so if you do not see yours immediately, please wait just a bit for it to be posted. Thank you!